Mold and mildew thrive in damp conditions and can pose serious health issues for you and your loved ones. Once they take hold, they are difficult to get rid of. But you don’t have to resort to ineffective chemical solutions. A simple natural product and a bit of ingenuity is all you need to outsmart tricky growth for good.
The Icky Issue
From leaky pipes to shower spray, the slightest bit of moisture can cause mold and mildew to proliferate on clothing, upholstery, and anywhere in your home. When it comes to treatment, timing is critical, and removal and prevention are key. Treat mold and mildew immediately to keep it from getting out of hand.
Take it Away
As soon as you notice mold and mildew spots and stains, grab the tools below and follow these steps for removal:
- Brush off loose mold.
- Apply The Laundress Stain Solution and The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative to the affected area and work in with either The Laundress Scrub Brush (for durable fabrics) or The Laundress Stain Brush (for delicate pieces). Together, these products fight stains and kill growth in a safe and effective manner.
- Soak the item in a bath of water mixed with The Laundress Scented Vinegar for as as long as possible. Vinegar naturally fights mold and mildew and deodorizes. And The Laundress Scented Vinegar features a fresh-smelling combination of eucalyptus, pine, rose, lily of the valley, bergamot, and thyme.
- Repeat until the spots a have disappeared.
- Once you see the mold and mildew stains lifting, machine wash the item as normal. If the item is cotton, linen or a durable synthetic, wash in hot water.
- Only dry when you have made sure that all traces of mold and mildew are gone.
Mold and mildew can be prevented before it starts with a few key practices.
- Reduce indoor humidity and use vents and dehumidifiers liberally.
- Be sure to use the exhaust fan when cooking.
- Fix leaks or water issues immediately, do not let them fester.
- Always remove mold from hard surfaces with The Laundress All-Purpose Bleach Alternative and dry completely.
For more information on mold, please visit www.epa.gov.